Follow up report to National Council on Disability Beyond Guardianship 2018 report. This report explores the experiences of people with I/DD through interviews and research. Report discusses school-to-guardianship pipeline.
Report for National Council on Disabilities recommending supported decision-making as an alternative to guardianship.
Beyond Guardianship, National Council on Disability (March 22, 2018) at 23.
Provides an overview of guardianship alternatives in Massachusetts including SDM, health care proxies, and powers of attorney. Also provides overview of guardianship in Massachusetts, including information about the rights of individuals who are subject to guardianship.
Four videos on Alternatives to Guardianship and the Promises of Supported Decision Making ACLU and from UC Davis MIND Institute describing SDM, positioning it as an alternative to guardianship, and offering advice regarding putting SDM into practice. (Note that playlist also links to other UC Davis MIND Institute Videos)
- Supported Decision-Making: Protecting Rights and Ensuring Choices
- 5 Reasons to Rethink Guardianship
- What Supported Decision-Making is and why it Matters?
- Using Supported Decision-Making: a Step-by-Step Guide
Stories from individuals living in Maine about what guardianship means to them. Includes people who are under guardianship and who are not.
Amicus brief describing SDM as an alternative to guardianship
- Quality Trust for People With Disabilities
- National Resource Center for Supported Decision-Making
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network