Provides an overview of guardianship alternatives in Massachusetts including SDM, health care proxies, and powers of attorney. Also provides overview of guardianship in Massachusetts, including information about the rights of individuals who are subject to guardianship.
Tag: self advocates
A special issue of TASH Connections on Supported Decision-Making. Articles include:
- Supported Decision Making and Deinstitutionalization: Lessons Learned from the Autistic Self Advocacy Network’s
Invitational Summit by Kelly Israel
- Supported Decision-Making for People with Disabilities: International Origins and Influences by Robert D. Dinerstein
- Supported Decision-Making: Legal Basis and Practical Application by Robert D. Fleischner
- Reflections on Autonomy by Dohn Hoyle
- Supported Decision-Making in Tennessee by Lauren Pearson
- Supported Decision-Making and Alternatives to Guardianship by Families by Kathy Brill
Four videos on Alternatives to Guardianship and the Promises of Supported Decision Making ACLU and from UC Davis MIND Institute describing SDM, positioning it as an alternative to guardianship, and offering advice regarding putting SDM into practice. (Note that playlist also links to other UC Davis MIND Institute Videos)
- Supported Decision-Making: Protecting Rights and Ensuring Choices
- 5 Reasons to Rethink Guardianship
- What Supported Decision-Making is and why it Matters?
- Using Supported Decision-Making: a Step-by-Step Guide
Comprehensive guide to money management for people with disabilities. Contains helpful worksheets and tools for thinking about making decisions about money. Some materials are specific to Pennsylvania.
This guide by the Autistic Self Advocacy Network explains supported decision-making, guardianship, and laws about decision-making in an easy-read format.
Independent evaluation of year two of CPR and Nonotuck’s initial SDM pilot by Human Services Research Institute.
A guide authored a self-advocate on transition planning for young people. Useful for families and supporters assisting with transition. Available in variety of formats.
Independent evaluation of year one of CPR and Nonotuck’s initial SDM pilot by Human Services Research Institute.
Comprehensive resource on SDM for the United States. Includes in-depth resource pages on each state’s SDM activities and legislation as well as, up-to-date news on SDM, comprehensive resource library, and stories of SDM.