Short video describing SDM in Wisconsin, applicable to anyone interested in SDM.
Links to videos where people in Australia explain how SDM has worked for them; how to provide individualized, meaningful support; and addressing an individual’s communication needs.
Provides an overview of guardianship alternatives in Massachusetts including SDM, health care proxies, and powers of attorney. Also provides overview of guardianship in Massachusetts, including information about the rights of individuals who are subject to guardianship.
A special issue of TASH Connections on Supported Decision-Making. Articles include:
- Supported Decision Making and Deinstitutionalization: Lessons Learned from the Autistic Self Advocacy Network’s
Invitational Summit by Kelly Israel
- Supported Decision-Making for People with Disabilities: International Origins and Influences by Robert D. Dinerstein
- Supported Decision-Making: Legal Basis and Practical Application by Robert D. Fleischner
- Reflections on Autonomy by Dohn Hoyle
- Supported Decision-Making in Tennessee by Lauren Pearson
- Supported Decision-Making and Alternatives to Guardianship by Families by Kathy Brill
This video series from the Minnesota Department of Human Services provides an overview of supported decision-making concepts, a history of guardianship and a discussion of including financial and medical issues.
Four videos on Alternatives to Guardianship and the Promises of Supported Decision Making ACLU and from UC Davis MIND Institute describing SDM, positioning it as an alternative to guardianship, and offering advice regarding putting SDM into practice. (Note that playlist also links to other UC Davis MIND Institute Videos)
- Supported Decision-Making: Protecting Rights and Ensuring Choices
- 5 Reasons to Rethink Guardianship
- What Supported Decision-Making is and why it Matters?
- Using Supported Decision-Making: a Step-by-Step Guide
The Uniform Guardianship, Conservatorship, and Other Protective Arrangements Act (UGCOPAA) of 2017 is the model guardianship statute produced by the Uniform Law Commission.
The UGCOPAA includes provisions promoting SDM as an alternative to guardianship. (See, e.g., UGCOPAA, Sec. 301(a)(1)(A))
Link includes list of states that have adopted the model statute.
Trailer for training module on supported decision-making from Open Future Learning. Includes presentations from supporter Malia Carlotto who participated in CPR’s first pilot supporting her son Cory, and CPR staff Michael Kendrick and Bob Fleischner. Find supported decision-making module available for purchase on this page.
Comprehensive guide to money management for people with disabilities. Contains helpful worksheets and tools for thinking about making decisions about money. Some materials are specific to Pennsylvania.
Wisconsin’s supported decision-making statute. WIS. STAT. ANN. § 52.01(6) (West, Westlaw through 2017 Act 370).